Keeping people safe
September 28, 2020
As always, our priority is to keep families and staff safe and healthy.
We are always looking for ways we can continue to keep our support workers and families safe. At times like this, the future can feel uncertain. So in August, we implemented a new strategy to ensure support workers had the support they need to make a good choice and get tested for COVID if they felt unwell.
Mamre has agreed to compensate support workers who have incurred a financial loss as a result of getting tested for COVID.
Support workers are often employed as casuals, so they do not have access to sick leave. This means there was a risk of those people potentially choosing paid shift work over getting a COVID test.
Now if anyone is unwell, they will feel financially supported to make the right choice, get tested and stay home while waiting for test results. We think this is a great step forward in keeping people safe.
While you’re here, here’s a list of the actions we’ve taken to maximise the safety and health of all people:
- Mamre has committed to paying all support workers if they need to receive a COVID test. We have a large casual workforce. This support will make it easier for staff to choose safety over risking working while unwell.
- All Mamre staff have completed, or are in the process of completing, three training modules
- Infection Control training – Qld Department of Health
- The Correct use of PPE – Qld Department of Health
- The Worker Orientation Module – NDIA Code of Conduct
- We are continuously sharing important messages and updates with team members including contact tracing alerts.
- Mamre is following a COVID Safe Plan in the Newmarket and Sherwood offices and providing clear guidelines for staff to follow.
- We’re minimising face-to-face time across some services. Most of our office team members are still working remotely and are prepared for it to remain this way until January 2021.
- We have ensured substantial quantities of PPE for keeping people safe in the event of a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19.
- Mamre has recommended all staff receive a flu vaccination and staff will be reimbursed for this cost.
- Reminding everyone to practice good hygiene.